Private companies in South Africa are renowned for their generosity in supporting diverse social programming and interventions. We believe that all businesses – from spaza shops to multinational corporations – have the ability to create positive, meaningful change in their communities.
The case for supporting She Conquers is simple: supporting South Africa’s youth in their fight to improve their wellbeing and economic independence means supporting the future of South Africa. She Conquers provides a medium through which businesses can do exactly that.
By bringing together an array of government, civil society, and community-based actors that serve youth across South Africa, She Conquers harnesses varied insight and experience that will effectively create change with and for South African youth.
Here are a few ways that your company can begin to support South African youth through She Conquers right now:
- Support parenting programmes for employees with children and young parents in the community
- Support programmes that work with orphans and vulnerable children
- Support programmes and organisations that focus on gender norms and behaviour change to fight sexual and gender-based violence
- Support programmes that provide advocacy and counselling services for victims of sexual and gender-based violence
- Sponsor or support after-school or community programmes that focus on keeping girls in school
- Establish and strengthen workplace HIV programmes and fund HIV outreach programmes in the community
- Adopt a school in need (e.g. one that demonstrates high levels of HIV risk indicators)
- Adopt a TVET college to improve the transition from education to employment
- Sponsor a mobile clinic that serves youth in a particular district or municipality
- Sponsor and participate in job fairs at secondary schools, TVETs, and universities
- Adopt a district or sub-district and work with local leaders and industry to generate employment opportunities for youth
- Support initiatives that promote entrepreneurship and entrepreneurial skill-building through financial support of existing organisations or employee mentorships
These are just a few ways in which your company can proudly support South Africa’s youth.